Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Guys, this is a follow up related to this post here;
    https://matchedbetting.wpengine.com/forums/topic/getting-bet-on-without-sitting-waiting-for-the-race-to-start/

So I’m trying to figure out a way to put bets on during my breaks at work when I don’t have access to my home computer.

I was thinking of setting up a VPS where I have all my windows open, and just accessing it remotely. That way I can access the same stuff at home and remotely on different computers… My concern is that the bookies might get upset if my IP address is from overseas (I’d just be using a really cheap overseas VPS).

What do you guys think? Is it safe do things from a non-australian based VPS?

Thanks for any thoughts!
    John

Willie
    Participant

I cant read this message?

john.bookie
    Participant

Good point! Thanks Willie. I can’t read it either. I’ll try and fix it somehow! Can’t seem to fix or edit that post. But this below is what I said 🙂 I had to dig it out of the page source.

So I’m trying to figure out a way to put bets on during my breaks at work when I don’t have access to my home computer.

I was thinking of setting up a VPS where I have all my windows open, and just accessing it remotely. That way I can access the same stuff at home and remotely on different computers… My concern is that the bookies might get upset if my IP address is from overseas (I’d just be using a really cheap overseas VPS).
    What do you guys think? Is it safe do things from a non-australian based VPS?

Thanks for any thoughts!
    John

Richard (MBA)
    Keymaster

Hey John,

Yeah becareful with setting VPN to an IP which is overseas somewhere. Bookies do track IP addresses to ensure that an IP only gets a signup bonus once etc.

john.bookie
    Participant

Well not so much VPN. A VPS. I would guess you know the difference, just maybe misread. But for clarification;

A VPN is a like a proxy way of accessing another network (a website).
    A VPS (Virtual private Server) is just a machine running somewhere else that I can remote desktop into.

I was thinking Microsoft Azure would be a cheap way to do it. But I dunno, maybe that’s going overboard 🙂

My goal would be to just have all my windows and documents open always ready to go no matter where I am…

But yeah in retrospect I think it’s probably not worth the risk of having traffic originate from an overseas IP address…

I could use teamviewer to access my home computer which would work. But it messes with my monitor setup (I have 7 of them plugged in)…but I guess that’s all complicating things 🙂

I’ll just keep it simple and just deal with it like a normal person 🙂 …or maybe dropbox or google drive could keep my documentation in sync…

Thanks guys!
    John

kitaikutuzov
    Participant

Hey John

I have similar issue

Did you manage to find a workable VPS? Or you are using your home setup?

john.bookie
    Participant

I ended up just going with a home setup.

I am fairly certain that a regular australian VPS would be fine, I think worrying about IP addresses that originate from a data center is probably a bit of paranoia.

I’m pretty much gubbed everywhere, but I just use anydesk. I like to have two monitors, betfair open on one, bookies open on the other…

With more experience I became partial to a no lay strategy and started just using my mobile on days that I was at work. But when matching I find it much easier having everything setup nicely in tabs and dual monitors etc…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.